Be a Supporter thru PATREON!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

A New Year Is Here....Hello 2014

Another Year has come and Gone!   2013 has passed by and 2014 is upon us. And as I sit here in Amarillo in my truck, I look back at last year, and the year before and keep on looking back and I wonder...."Where have I been, what have I done and just where am I headed??"  I guess that is a question that we all ask of ourselves over time....but just how deep do we go for our answer to us!?!?  I am not too sure that I have ever really looked very deeply at what/where/when/who has been involved in each year that I have lived through.  So I sit here and wonder just why I am penning this....too much time to just sit and think?  LOL  Possibly!!  

For those of us that came out of the "Flower Child Generation" we have all (for the most part) succumbed to becoming a part of society in order to survive each day...funny how "things" like food, a roof, toys, getting around..... These things will and do change the way we look at all that "stuff" around us that we think we have to have to be comfortable.  

This installment might get a bit wordy...but it just seems to be flowing out right now so I had better continue writing this down while I wait for the football games to start, the temperature to rise some (hopefully) outside, and I spend time cleaning out my room a little bit more!  
For those that don't know, my "room" is sitting on 10 wheels inside the cab of a 2013 Volvo 780dn Semi. I had said that I was just working until 2016, age 62, and I was done...so what do I do...I am in the middle of purchasing this truck and trailer and I guess I will be an "indentured servant" for a few more years!!  LOL  :D  
As I traveled through this past Christmas season and the New Year I actually spent quite a bit of time thinking about what I had left in my path over the years. And that made me wonder just why I was thinking about it when for so many years I had not even had these thoughts pass by my thought process. And it dawned on me that a lot of the folks that I went to High School with were no longer with us and that made me wonder....."Why am I still muddling along each day and why am I, overall, so satisfied with where I am right now?"   

I have had the honor of traveling through all 50 states and 39 countries. And that has given me a rather different look at what I have and have had and will have. And my horizons are a little wider that the average person. I have rubbed elbows with "Stars" (Jane Fonda, Sophia Loren, opera singers, politicians (Gerald Ford), BIG money and little money, haves and havenots, cubicle monkies & "no fences hold me" people. Where I fit in that listing has not been totally decided....but I do know that I am not normal!!!  Whatever "normal" is!!  LOL   

As I sit here and look back I see many, many miles....5 beautiful kids with great minds and great potential....5 beautiful grandkids....having had the opportunity of trying many different things.....seen many beautiful things....seen many depressing things.....seen fantastic man-made things.....seen horrific man-made things.....been in desert so dry that spit won't make it to the ground.....driven thru snow so deep that it came up over the hood of a '78 van (and me thinking "ok stupid, how are you getting out of this one!!!).  

I'VE BEEN ABLE TO ENJOY A VERY FULL LIFE!! AND STILL GOING!!

I've learned over the years that "good" in man is not natural, but learned. That Love is grown, nurtured and looked after. Hate comes on fast and furious and is hard to overcome. That beauty is all around us, but you have to look hard sometimes to see it.     

I don't feel like I have lived through 59.5 years....but each morning when my feet hit the floor my body reminds my brain that I HAVE lived through 59.5 years....some mornings I am reminded of it even more that others!!  But that is life and we all have one (a life that is) and hopefully I  have been able to help a few folks thru it and possibly kept a few from making it harder on others. Time will tell.   

I carry too much "technology" with me, but it has become such a part of my life that I have to put up with it. Don't get me wrong, I like my technology....but there are times that I turn it all off and just drive along listening to the wind, or sit on a picnic table and stare up at the stars and listen to the wind. And listening to the wind and nature and the stillness of the wild is something that we don't listen to enough. We extend our day into the night with lights and noise....and we don't listen to the little voices around us.  We rush too much.   Guess what, most of the stuff that we rush around for will still be there, even when we take a few minutes longer to get there by taking that side road that has a view instead of runing helter skelter down the interstates  of life!!   

I think that is enough "philosophy" for one day....my brain is fogging up and my eyes are blurring!!  
My hope is that each of you will have a Great 2014 and the things that you hope to achieve this coming year will come to fruition. That each day will bring on a new adventure of some sort so that each day will be a memory.   

And to each of you was a part of my 2013, Thank You! 

And I look forward to you being a part of my 2014!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment