Be a Supporter thru PATREON!

Monday, May 3, 2021

Feels Soooo Good!

 

It really does feel good to be back on the road!! And counting my short run in January, so far this year, Lily, Abbie & myself have driven over 8,000 miles already! At this pace, slow as it is that I drive!, we should do about 20-25,000 miles before year's end.


 

As of now we are in Arizona sitting in the woods outside of Alpine, AZ in the Apache-Sitgreaves Nat'l Forest. Off the grid, nice view & trying to not get blown away!  LOL! The wind has been strong ever since I left DFW. 10-25mph and gusts getting up to 45+. Just a bit breezy. 

 

 



 

 


And of course I had to stop-over at one of my all time favorite spots....the VLA (Very Large Array) for a night! And it was an interesting evening! Late in the afternoon started raining...and then....along came the sleet & tiny flakes of snow! Needless to say, it was a "cool" night! Was 28 degrees when I woke up the next morning!



 

 

Except for the wind it was a nice drive over from DFW. As I said, except for the wind, it was a really good drive. spent 5 days on the road here. Will be in the area until at least the 19th of May. Possibly longer. It really depends on the weather.

 

 

 

  I'm making plans and working thru the atlases to drive US-191 all the way up to Yellowstone NP. US-191 runs from the Mexican border all the way to the Canadian border. So it will be a long run! But it is mainly 2-lane all the way, doesn't seem to go over too many passes and runs thru the "back roads" that I love to travel! I'm thinking that I will take about 4-6 weeks to make the drive.

I got out my '54 Rand McNally atlas to see what was along the highway back in 1954...and discovered that US-191 started at the border and ended in Cortez, CO back then.....AND....it was US-666 then!  LOL! They changed the number quite a few years back. I'm getting the sticker tomorrow that says "I drove the Devil's Highway" to add to Lily's growing collection of stickers.



It will take me up thru AZ, UT, WY & MT. Several really nice spots all along the way. And the highway runs right thru the middle of Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP. So the views and photo opportunities will be fantastic.

 

 

 All the money I put into Lily and her 2-wheeled suitcase seem to be paying off. Getting 13-14.5mpg in the hills & up to 18-20mpg on flat ground. But, with 20mph headwinds, it does drop at times down to 11-12mpg. But overall it is hitting about where I planned  for my gas budget. 

 

 

 

So that's where things stand right now with Frog's 2021 Travels! As it stands right now, I'm planning on being on the road for 12-18 months. Several "layovers" along the way for

a week or two in several places....just don't know where those spots will be yet!

So hang in there with me as I see what I can find running the back roads of the USA!

C'ya out here soon!!

Frog & Abbie

🐸    &   🐶

No comments:

Post a Comment